Background and aims
The ‚Convoy‘ in Birmenstorf will soon look back on a tradition of 20 years. In August 1996 a few dozen enthusiasts met for the first time. Over the course of the years, Switzerland’s largest military old-timer meeting evolved - the Convoy. Today the event is known well across Swiss borders and takes place every three years. At the Convoy 2010 almost 25,000 visitors, over 500 vehicles, a dozen re-enactor groups and 15 aircrafts were present.
An organizing committee headed by Adrian Gerwer, Birmenstorf, pursues these goals:
- Commemorates the liberation of Europe and the Invasion by the Allies in 1944
- Puts the events of Swiss military-historic relevance into a wider perspective
- Shows military technology in action
- Causes awareness that military history is part of our civilization
- Conveys the impression of a living museum
- Offers an entertaining weekend for the whole family
The representative entity is the Association ‘Convoy to Remember’, founded on 2nd December 2009 and headquartered in Birmenstorf AG. The organizational structure consists of a Managing Committee which guides and supervises an Organizational Committee of 25 – 30 members. Financial matters are professionally dealt with by Ruepp + Partner, Rotkreuz.
VBS – endorsed Collectors’ Institution
Of this, we are particularly proud: We are an institution endorsed by the Swiss Military Department (VBS) as a ‘Collector of Historic Military Material, Level B’ .